Sunday, July 24, 2011

Getting Back on Medication

I've been a bad girl long enough. The time has come to get serious about my health. I wrote earlier last week about my terrible Metformin habits, but it hasnt' just been a problem with the Met. It's also with all my other drugs. My vitamins, everything. Tonight, I officially started back on all the medications and vitamins I'm supposed to be taking. If I can be really good and take them every single day, I'll have just over 2 months of getting used to the drugs and getting in shape before we do IVF. Hopefully that's plenty of time to get myself in tip-top health before we start going through the hard stuff.

As much as I feel bad and regret going off my medication for selfish reasons (I felt awful ALL the time), I know that my doctor has my best interest in mind. I know these are medicines I need to be on to give myself the best chance of getting pregnant. So isn't it worth feeling bad and having digestive issues for a few months? Yes, I would say it is. In the grand scheme of things, there are much worse things I could be taking. Metformin is just a temporary sickness as long as I keep my nutrition under control. So as of tonight, I'm back on a plan and determined to stick with it.

Here's what I take on a daily basis:

  • Glumetza, 1000 mg (This is the metformin. My doctor prescribed 2000mg, but I have to work up to it since it makes me so sick. I'm going to start on half dose first, then work back up to the 2000 in a couple of weeks. Yikes!)
  • Vitamin D3, 1000 IUs
  • New Chapter Organics Prenatal Vitamins, 3/day
  • Fish Oil, 800mg EPA twice a day (I take Carlton's Finest Fish Oil from Whole Foods. It's a liquid but it tastes like lemon. I used to take pills, but then I always had this fishy taste in my mouth that I HATED. This fish oil is actually quite nice and has no real aftertaste issues. Plus, it's pure.)
It doesn't sound like a lot. Especially not compared to what I'll go through with an IVF cycle. It's definitely manageable, and I know in the long run, it's best for my body. I'm going to get back in the habit of taking them and hopefully with a new plan for diet and nutrition, the metformin won't bother my stomach quite as much.

As a side note, PCOS bites. I sometimes wish I could be like a normal woman who could just take the vitamins and be fine. End of self-pity moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment