Thursday, July 21, 2011

Building My Sanctuary

Our bedroom is awful. When I first moved in with my husband, his house was pretty much not decorated at all. I spent some time a few years ago painting and trying to make this more of a home, but I'm not the most talented interior decorator, haha. (To say the least!) The downstairs, the bathroom, and the office got some love, but our bedroom got ignored. It was partly about money and partly about time.

Now, however, I want to make our bedroom a sanctuary. I want it to be a place I can relax and destress and feel good. I know that throughout most IVF cycles, there are at least a few days of bed rest, and I want our bedroom to be an awesome place to do that.

Right now, our bedroom has zero artwork, a plain white down comforter (no duvet), no headboard, no curtains, an old dresser from when George was still in high school, and a rack of computers, LOL. No exactly romantic or relaxing! There is definitely a lot of room for improvement. Unfortunately, there's so much that needs to be done, it could get pretty expensive. With the expense of IVF already climbing, we don't want to spend too much money on the room.

Here's my idea so far for the room. I just ordered the prettiest 10 piece bedding set (on sale!) from JC Penney. It's called Serenade, and I love it.


Instead of the current off-white walls, we're going to paint this gorgeous blue called Twin Cities from Valspar paint. I think it's going to be perfect! I think the blue will be very relaxing and beautiful and calming. On the beautiful dark wood nightstands my dad built us last year for Christmas, I want to put vases with beautiful silk white flowers. I also hope to put some nice artwork on the wall that brings in the nature theme and brings some life into the room. A good friend of mine that I met on the Baby Center forums is a designer. She's the one who suggested the paint color (with a nod to the fact that we might have twins, hehe) and also this branch wall art.

Design-wise, I think those are some good starting elements. I love the earthy theme and the calming colors, and I really think this is going to be a great place to meditate and unwind while we go through the rollercoaster of IVF. We are also going to try to put a new headboard and a new dresser in the room, as well as some nice off-white or dark brown/green curtains that match the leaves in the bedding. I'll try to post pictures when we're finished. My hope is that our bedroom becomes a sanctuary while we are TTC and also a great place to call our own when we begin to share our home with a new baby (or two :).

No comments:

Post a Comment