Friday, February 18, 2011

Focus on Health

This cycle is all about being as healthy as possible. Major changes are hard to keep up, so I am going to try to add a few small things that will make a big difference. As a woman with PCOS, I can't just eat what I want and never exercise and expect everything to be okay. I have spent too many years ignoring my illness and treating my body like crap. I truly believe now that my eating habits and lack of exercise are the reason I am not pregnant yet.

Let's talk about weight for just a second. I am 5'7.5" tall. At my height, according to a few different studies, my ideal fertility weight is 150 lbs. As of this morning, I weigh 179 lbs. I've been yo-yo'ing between 175-185 lbs now for quite some time, which means that I am about 30 lbs over my ideal fertility weight. I think that's probably a partial reason for my infertility so far. On the other hand, I don't want to take four or more months off of fertility meds just to try to lose that weight. So what is the solution?

I can't change the past, but I can start today to try to make a difference. Exercising everyday doesn't mean that I have to do hardcore cardio workouts for two hours a day. It can just mean walking my dog for fifteen minutes. Anything above and beyond what I'm already doing is a step in the right direction.

Diet is just as important, if not more so, than exercise. This month, I am going to cut out all fried foods, soda, and sweets. My husband doesn't think it's a good idea for me to make such a drastic change, but I think I need to. Today, so far, I've eaten oatmeal (natural, not the sugary kind in packets) and a home-made smoothie with frozen strawberries, blueberries, plain yogurt, milk, and a scoop of Jay Rob Whey Protein. Tonight for dinner, I plan to make brown rice with grilled chicken. I'm adding whole grains, healthy sources of lean protein, fruit, and good healthy dairy. Also, I bought some Carlton's Finest Lemon flavored fish oil today. I usually take it in pills and just can't stand it. This new one is a liquid and wasn't so bad.

I'm looking forward to this cycle with positive thoughts. I'm thinking that this could be the month I get pregnant! I just started my Clomid today, so it's the perfect time to make these other changes to focus on health. Maybe with a little more effort, I can make my body the perfect place for a little baby to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment