Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cycle Day 11 Ultrasound - Mature Follicle!

Today we had good news! Our first round of Clomid did its job. We went in this morning to have an ultrasound done to check for follicles. My left ovary was nothing special, only small follicles (11 I think on one was the biggest). But on the right side, there was one really nice mature follicle that measured around 21 mm! She said that anything over a 20 was great, then suggested we go ahead with an HCG trigger shot. We had to run to the Walmart across the street and pick up the shot (not covered my insurance which is crazy since we're supposed to have a $22,000 fertility benefit), which cost $115. After we got the shot, we went back to the nurse and she mixed it and administered it into my left hip. It didn't hurt at all, but she warned me that I might experience some extra ovulation cramping in the next few days.

With the shot, I should ovulate within 12-36 hours! DH and I were planning to do an IUI this cycle, but after discussing it, we'd rather try naturally a few months with timed intercourse. There's just something beautiful about conceiving a child during the act of making love. I think we'd both be more willing to do the IUI if it turns out regular sex isn't doing the job, but we'll give it three or four cycles. I'm glad we came to this decision, and I'm looking forward to some intimate time over the next few days! I told him to be ready to go when he gets home tonight, haha.

So far, everything has gone just like clockwork. For most of my adult life, I have anticipated pregnancy being a tough road, so in a way, I keep expecting a more serious complication. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy there haven't been any, but what I mean is that I feel like I'm waiting for the bad news to come. I can only pray it never does.

The Clomid was surprisingly side-effect free. I took it from CD1-5 and the only thing I experienced was some extra sleepiness. The Glumetza (Metformin) has been the most difficult part by far. It's been very hard to find food that I can eat without having to run to the bathroom every five minutes or feel like I'm sick all day. The nurse said that after another week or so, I should be well enough adjusted that I won't get that sick feeling as much. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment